Monday, June 27, 2011

Yard Makeover Part 2

Ok...part 2.

We finally got our sidewalk like we wanted. We got some solar lights and had to add some more rocks after it settled. Now, I had called a brick guy that had given us an estimate to come build our stairs. He told me when I called him that it would be the next week before he could get to us. No big deal. Well the next week it rained and rained. I knew that was why he didn't come but I still figured he would call. Figured wrong. So I called him the next week (3rd week here) on a Wednesday and left a voice mail. He never called me. On the 4th week, I called him that Monday and he said he would be there Thursday. Well I came home for lunch Thursday and he wasn't here. I called and left a voice mail and when I got home, he had piled his wheelbarrow, some tools, and the bricks in a pile next to the sidewalk and the flowerbeds. Jonathan said he made a bunch of excuses and asked if I was mad. He told him that I wasn't very happy!! He told Jonathan he would be back in the morning (Friday) to build the steps. When I got home from work Friday, it was POURING down rain and it wasn't supposed to quit. And my steps were not built!!!! It had only started raining around 3 or 4. He could have got that done in 2 hours. (that is what he said.) Jonathan and I had to get outside in the thunder, lighting, and rain and pile his bricks in his wheelbarrow and move it all under the tree out front. The water couldn't drain because of how he had the bricks piled up and our flowerbed we just built was getting flooded! I was so mad that I didn't call that night but first thing Saturday morning, I called and left a voice mail telling him that I no longer needed his services, or lack there of, and that his stuff was under the tree and come and get it! Then we went on vacation to VEGAS! (stay tuned for that post) After we got home, Jonathan decided that he could build the steps. I called an old friend from high school that works in the brick and stone business and he gave us an awesome deal. The steps aren't perfect but we think they look pretty good!!! I love my handyman!!! We saved over $150 doing it ourselves!!

Our completed sidewalk!!

I just love how this turned out!!

Our pretty flowerbed! We still have to get some sod and raise the ground a little in front of the flowerbed but it still looks amazing!!! (to us anyway!)

This is the flowerbed around our big tree in the front yard. It usually has tulips and daffodils in the Spring.

Jonathan is getting started on the front steps!!!

He just laid them out and counted and mumbled to himself a little and said, "Ok, I got it. Here we go." And he did! He amazes again and again with what he can do!!

Measuring it out!

Working hard!

We got the first step done!

We had it figured out by this point. Not too bad!!

I never got a picture close up of the completed steps! I am going to have to do that! But here is what they look like from the yard! We have cleaned them up some since this picture too. Notice the old steps to the right?

See them? Yuck!

They are gone now! Jonathan rented a jackhammer and got the steps and the bit of concrete that was in front of them. We are going to build a retaining wall then a deck in front of the siding part of the house. We will jackhammer more of the concrete up after that. Always more to do!! Stay tuned for part 3!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment